Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Making the Most of the Last Days of Our Trip - Part 2 - Badlands National Park and Wall Drug

We mostly did a drive through of Badlands National Park with a few stops for photo ops and short walks. It was too hot for anything else.

I'm sure all park campgrounds were booked 6 months ago, but we were able to just pull up and camp the evening we got there in this great boondocking spot just outside the park  

In the park



"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture.”

This was like a cruel joke

There was wildlife, crossing the road and otherwise, as is a required in all national parks

And Bob, channeling his inner mountain goat

Wall Drug

We stopped off at Wall Drug, of course. Unfortunately, it was after 7:30pm and much of the place was already closed, with the rest closing at 8.

I had really, really, been hoping to hear the mechanical bluegrass band that was there when we last visited in 2002, but if the machine is still there, I couldn’t find it. When we were there in 2002, I put in my four quarters, selected the button for “House of the Rising Sun,” from the jukebox style interface, and listened to the best acoustical version of the song I have ever heard. By the end of the song quite a crowd had gathered, and I was tempted to pass a hat to recoup my investment.

This was taken in 2002 (pre digital photos!)

Now, back to doing laundry...

1 comment:

Lansey said...

I definitely remember looking at that for a LONG time to see how it worked; I don't actually remember the sound as much as I remember the mechanism :P too bad that it isn't there anymore.