Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Texas State Parks - Sheltering in Place During an Ice Storm

We find ourselves with some unexpected time on our hands as we hunker down in Pedernales State Park (west of Austin) for a winter storm in central Texas.

We were supposed to have left yesterday. The original plan was to drive about 100 miles north-ish to take a hike to Gorman’s falls at Colorado Bend State Park, then to continue another 100 miles north to Dinosaur Valley State Park (southwest of Fort Worth) to wade into the Paluxy River to see dinosaur footprints.

We started out yesterday morning, barely left Pedernales Park, and saw the ice already accumulating on the trees. After thinking about it a bit, we turned around and came back to stay safe at the campground.

So, I figured given the circumstances, I would do a post on the four Texas State Parks we have stayed at.

But as I started to go through my pictures, I realized I will need to do a separate post on each park, given the number of pictures I want to include.

So this post is just about the ice storm at Pedernales State Park. And these may seem like a lot of pictures, but I brutally cut the number down from all the ones I wanted to post.

Fun Fact 1: This storm has a name - Mara

Fun Fact 2: Yesterday wasn’t a good day to go hiking or wading anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don’t apologize about the number of photos—they were all beautiful! Thanks.
(Would’ve been happy to see more!)

Anonymous said...

I love them cactus picture