Tuesday, April 23, 2019

#GONM_2019 The First Day - We leave


Why is it that the second I sit down in a car for a long trip, bam!, I am starving? I feel like I haven’t eaten in days. Even though we just had lunch? 

Is it because of (choose one):
A: an irrational fear that we won’t find kosher food on our trip?
B. I am thinking of all the yummy food in the giant cooler as well as the smaller cooler in the car, both packed to the gills? (Not to mention the soft sided cooler on the floor in front of me conveniently placed for easy access. Or of all the snacks that don’t require refrigeration.)
C. I associate sitting in a car with eating, like Pavlov’s dog (the bell was just a translation error from the Russian)?  
D. all of the above?

We leave at 2:10 pm on Tuesday April 30th. Pesach was over motzei Shabbos. 2 ½ days ago.  
Car odometer is at 880 miles. Trip odometer, 0.
We are apparently taking everything we own. The car seemed so big when we got it.



Sprinkler is set up to water the front lawn. We do not know that it is going to rain the entire month of May in NJ. (June apparently also, but we will be home by then.)

Waze directs us to the NJ turnpike S to the PA turnpike W.
Everything is so green. Picturesque farms with picturesque cows.


I follow along with a map on my lap. We have already gone 2 ½ inches!
I collect travel info I don’t need at each stop. I can’t help myself.
Hit 1000 miles on the new car at mile 120 on the trip odometer.

I love the Susquehanna River!

At 4 hrs we have gone 250 miles.
Logged the first one or two stops with great precision - name of rest area, time and odometer at stop, length of stop.  After a few stops, who cares.
Lighting changes from sunshine and blue skies to rainstorms and fog.

Am expecting Ohio after we pass south of Pittsburgh. Suddenly we are in West Virginia. Huh? Examine the map closely.  Who knew there was a 5-15 mile wide tentacle of West Virginia between Pennsylvania and Ohio?
We stop for the night at the Comfort Inn Triadelphia, WV. Mostly pickup trucks in the parking lot.

We have already driven thru 3 folds of the map and are starting the 4th.
1st day Edison, NJ to Tridelphia, WV. 389 miles. 6 hours 15 minutes.


No comments: