Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Our Latest Adventure Has Started, Not With a Bang, But With a Whimper - Part 3 of 3

Normally when someone has Covid, they are instructed to stay away from other members of their household. We couldn't do this since we are living together 24/7 in an indoor space that is about 20 x 6 x 6 feet and sleeping in a bed that is about 3 ½ feet wide.

Bob was exposed to Covid for a few hours over a Friday and Shabbos; I was marinating in it for days. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop.

By Monday, the day after Bob got the monoclonal antibodies, I was feeling flu-ish. We headed off to Lake Huron anyway. By Monday evening I was running a fever and felt like I had a bad case of the flu, some cold symptoms and had lost my sense of taste and smell.

Tuesday morning, just a week after we had left, Bob was feeling a lot better, but I was feeling so sick, we considered coming home. We tried unsuccessfully to find a place where I could get tested to confirm it was Covid. Drug stores that had big signs in front advertising “Covid Testing”, were not testing that week.

Finally, Bob found an urgent care center to test me (after waiting 1 ½ hours to be seen). I couldn’t believe it when the rapid test came back negative.

But the next day I was feeling a lot better. That afternoon, I got a call from the prior day's urgent care center, letting me know that my PCR test came back positive!

I was actually relived. I felt validated for all my kvetching.

We tried to set up an appointment for me to get the monoclonal antibodies. Very long story short, I was eventually put on a triage list, but told not to expect a call back. Since I was already starting to feel better, we gave up on trying to get me antibodies and continued on our way.

The end of this long and sad Covid story is that Boruch Hashem we are both well now, enjoying our trip and feeling better.

Just one more thing. This past Monday, 5 whole days after I was put on the monoclonal antibodies triage list, I got a call that I could schedule an appointment now! (Keep in mind that It is important to get these as soon as possible after infection.) Given that I was feeling much better and was actually in the middle of biking an 11 ½ mile loop in Marquette, MI that day (slowly and with numerous stops, of course) I told them thanks, and to give the appointment to someone sicker.

Moral of all this - Try not to get Covid, but if you do, don't get it in Michigan.


Coming up soon - Various Great Lakes and Lots of Lighthouses

No comments: