Thursday, November 11, 2021

The Daylight Saving Time Effect and Other Adventures

They changed the clocks last Saturday night. I hate when they do that. I end up not knowing what time it is for about 2 weeks. My sleep gets messed up and I feel like it’s time for my next meal all day. Ok, so I feel like it’s time for my next meal all day even when it’s not a change in Daylight Saving Time, but still.

It’s not just me that has problems with the time switch - studies have shown that changing the time in both Fall and Spring is bad for both your physical and mental health.

This last time change has been especially difficult for me. We're not only dealing with a DST change but with a change of time zone.

Even Google gets confused. This is a photo of Google Maps directions we were following. It shows that we will be arriving at our destination 6 minutes ago, in 54 minutes.

And sure enough, when it we got there, Google thought it was an hour earlier.

We are currently on Madeline Island, WI, in Lake Superior. We are at the ferry dock waiting to see if the 9:30am ferry back to the mainland is actually going to depart, or if we will have to spend the winter on the island. Or at least stay until the lake freezes over and we and we can drive the 2 mile ice road back to land.

See: https://www.visitashland.com/member/ice-road-to-madeline-island/

The ice road gets plowed regularly and its edges are marked by discarded Christmas trees. When the icy water is too thick for ferry service but too thin for vehicles, the Madeline Island Windsled becomes operational. The Windsled is basically a flat-bottomed airboat that can travel on the ice but will float should the ice not be thick enough. (But it doesn't carry RV’s.)

OK, looks like the ferry is loading. Signing off now…

1 comment:

Lansey said...

I googled the Madeline Island Windsled, looks really cool!